Optimize a Route
PC*MILER can reorder the stops on a route, thereby optimizing trip time, cost and mileage. Let’s optimize Route 1:
1. Close the Route 1 ‐ Copy window: click the gear button in the upper right corner and choose Close Route. image
2. Click on the maximize button in the upper right corner of the Route 1 window. image
3. Duplicate Route 1 again (Routes tab > Duplicate).
4. With the new route window active, select the Routes tab > Optimize > Optimize Stops.
5. The Run route after optimizing stops option should be checked and Route Through All should be selected, meaning the last stop can be reordered if necessary.
6. Click OK to optimize the stops in the new window.
7. Press the <F4> key to generate a new Comparison Report.
As you can see, PC*MILER determined that the optimal route would have Manchester as its destination and Armstrong as the second stop. The optimized route is significantly different from the version of the same route we entered earlier: it saves about 118 miles and over 1 hour and 15 minutes of driving time, plus the additional trip costs!